Further information and application
Trainees can be enrolled at the host institution with a visiting observer status (3-6 months) or a visiting practitioner status (6 months only). The enrolment procedure is to be discussed directly with the host institution. However, please be informed that obtaining residency status may take up to 6 months.
- Visiting observership status - Direct contact with patients is not foreseen. The host institution will relate with the trainee regarding enrolment procedure.
- Visiting residency status - The visiting residency status allows the trainee having direct contact with patients. The enrolment procedure for practitioners varies for each Clinical Training Centre. Depending on the center as well as on the knowledge and training level of the applicants, all activities are initially carried out by the trainee in direct supervision, and later in indirect supervision by the area-leading specialist / senior physician.
There is a limited number of fellowship grants available, so only physicians who meet the following criteria are eligible for a fellowship:
- Doctors who can demonstrate that they have gained 2 years’ experience in clinical and research work in pediatric hematology and/or oncology
- Doctors from the following regions: Europe (including Eastern Europe, Russia & Turkey), Arab Mediterranean region, Central/Southern America (Latin America)
- Doctors who have taken part in at least 1 ESO or 1 SIOP event
- Age limit of 40 years
3 months or 6 months, depending on the educational programme selected.
ESO will refund travel costs (economy fare, from location of residence to the location of the training centre and return) and a grant of:
EUR 2.000 per month
Costs related to Medical Council’s Registration is to be covered by the scholar.
Accommodation is not provided and is to be arranged by the trainee him/herself. Usually, the host institutions have cheap opportunities to offer to the applicants.
Please ensure you read these instructions carefully before your start the online application process.
In order to apply for the CTC programme you are required to complete the online application (please follow the steps below) and provide the documents listed below (you will need to prepare these documents in advance to upload during the online application)
Required documents (all documents must be in English or have an English translation if necessary):
- A letter of request indicating the programme and the centre for which the application is submitted, the aims and goals of the training period, the plans for career development after the training period, the requested duration (3 or 6 months) and the preferred training period,
- Curriculum vitae or biographical sketch with a list of publications and abstracts accepted at congresses (indication of work/research in pediatric hematology and oncology),
- Copy of the medical school diploma (Original version and please include English translation if necessary)
- A letter of support from your current head of department.
Online application step by step:
Step 1: Click on the APPLY NOW button below and login to your account or create a new account to proceed with applying.
Step 2: Complete the first three stages of the application with your personal information
Step 3: ADD FELLOWSHIP CHOICE - Select the centre /programme you wish to apply for and the length of training period (3 or 6 months). Please ensure you have read through the ‘Clinical Training Centres’ pages on the ESO website carefully before you start applying.
Step 4: In the section 'Attachment' please upload the 4 requested documents (listed above). All 4 documents are obligatory. You must include the original certificates + English translation (if necessary)
Step 5: When you are sure everything has been completed, uploaded and is correct press the 'Submit' button.
Only applications that have been submitted with all required documents and by the deadline will be considered.
SIOP-E will carry out a pre-selection on a competitive basis from among the submitted applications.
Pre-selected candidates will be video interviewed (Skype) by ESO/SIOP-E and the host institution.
ESO/SIOP-E bears no responsibility for untoward events in relation to the training programme.
Trainees are advised to take out their personal, travel and professional insurance coverage.
It will be the responsibility of the trainee to pay any taxes that may be required by the home or host country. All doctors taking part in fellowship in an Italian centre will be required to pay tax in Italy. The same applies for Italian doctors taking part in fellowships in any centre.
APPLICATIONS WILL OPEN SHORTLY