ADVANCED COURSES & SEMINARS
Chair: A. Cervantes, ES
Co-Chairs: N. Pavlidis, GR - M. Preusser, AT
The ESMO-ESO five-day residential course is open to fourth and fifth-year medical students and will focus on medical oncology. The course will provide an insight into all aspects of medical oncology, enabling students to get a full picture of this challenging and interesting professional field before making the choice of their specialization.
The condensed high-standard educational programme aims to motivate medical students to choose medical oncology as a career.
• Increase knowledge in medical oncology, filling the gap in the medical student’s curriculum
• Acquire the skills to discuss clinical cases with a multidisciplinary approach
• Enhance and broaden medical education and learning experience
• A practical approach to cancer diagnosis, staging, prognosis and therapy
• Principles of medical therapy for cancer
• Breast cancer
• Colorectal cancer
• Gastric cancer
• Ovarian cancer
• Lung cancer
• Prostate cancer
• Renal cell carcinoma
• Testicular cancer
The Course on Medical Oncology for Medical Students is an ESMO-ESO joint event
G. Argilés, Barcelona, ES
F. Ciardiello, Naples, IT
A. Cervantes, Valencia, ES
E. de Azambuja, Brussels, BE
D. Lorusso, Milan, IT
F. Morgillo, Naples, IT
C. Oing, Hamburg, DE
M. Orditura, Naples, IT
N. Pavlidis, Ioannina, GR
M. Preusser, Vienna, AT
R.A. Stahel, Zurich, CH
M. Strijbos, Brasschaat, BE
J. Tabernero, Barcelona, ES
T. Troiani, Naples, IT
c/o ESMO Head Office
Via Luigi Taddei 4
Organisation, Programme and Logistics
Contact: Doris Vola
Tel: +41 (0)91 973 19 03
Fax: +41 (0)91 973 19 02
Università degli Studi della Campania "Luigi Vanvitelli"
Via S. Maria di Costantinopoli, 16
The Università degli Studi della Campania “Luigi Vanvitelli” comprises five different campuses: Aversa, Caserta, Capua, Naples and Santa Maria Capua Vetere. The School of Medicine offers two degree courses in Medicine and Surgery, one with teaching activity in Caserta and the other with didactic activities in Naples.
The Medical Students Course will be held at the Università degli Studi della Campania “Luigi Vanvitelli” located in Naples in via S. Maria di Costantinopoli 16, six kilometres away from Naples International Airport. The University can be reached from the airport by getting on the Alibus Airport Shuttle to Napoli Piazza Garibaldi, where the Naples Central Train Station is. From the train station, it is possible to either take the underground line L1 to Museo or the train (line 2, Trenitalia) to Stazione Napoli Piazza Cavour: the School of Medicine is about 300m away.
TRAVEL AND TRAVEL GRANTS
Each student must arrange his/her own travel. ESMO will reimburse participants with a grant of 200 euros after the course.
The organisers bear no responsibility for any untoward events in connection with, before, during and after the course. Participants are strongly advised to take out their own personal and travel coverage.
If you need a visa letter, please contact the ESMO Head Office.
CERTIFICATE OF ATTENDANCE
A certificate of attendance will be provided to each student at the end of the course. (Attendance of ALL course lectures/workshops is mandatory.)
BEST STUDENT AWARD
The participant with the highest score in the course exam will be offered the opportunity to participate in the ESMO 2018 congress (a 1000 euro grant will be offered), and to join the Congress Poster Walk for students.
|Save event date:||02 September 2018|
• Fourth and fifth year medical students
• Fluency in English
Fifty medical students will be selected on a competitive basis. All participants will receive free registration.
• The courses are reserved to fourth and fifth year medical students (undergraduates)
• Applicants must be ESMO members (undergraduate students benefit from free ESMO membership)
• Students must be fluent in English
• Attendance for the entire duration of the course is mandatory
You will need to provide the following information to support your application:
• Full curriculum vitae (with list of publications)
• Letter of motivation for attending the course (max. 300 words)
• Letter of recommendation/support from your Head of Department/mentor
THE SUBMITTING DEADLINE HAS PASSED (15 APRIL 2018)
SELECTION OF PARTICIPANTS
• All applications will be assessed by ESMO
• Students will be selected on a competitive basis
• Free registration to the courses and accommodation (including meals) is offered
• Each student will receive a travel grant. Travel is to be organised by the student (ESMO will provide the grant AFTER the course)
Participants are required to bring their own laptop, tablet or smartphone to the course to be able to access the course material electronically.
Accommodation will be in several Bed & breakfast (B&Bs) located in the area of the Università degli Studi della Campania "Luigi Vanvitelli". Free accommodation and meals will be offered to all selected participants.
The scientific programme is available here.