COURSES AND SEMINARS
Chair: A. Cervantes, ES
Co-chairs: N. Pavlidis, GR - A. Berghoff, AT
The ESMO-ESO five-day residential course is open to fourth and fifth-year medical students and will focus on medical oncology. The course will provide an insight into all aspects of medical oncology, enabling students to get a full picture of this challenging and interesting professional field before making the choice of their specialization. The condensed high-standard educational programme aims to motivate medical students to choose medical oncology as a career.
• Five-day residential course
• Open to fourth and fifth year medical students
• Interactive teaching and workshop
• Free online access to educational course material
• A final ‘test your knowledge’ exam
• To provide an insight into medical oncology, filling the gap in the medical student’s curriculum
• To present and discuss clinical cases with a multidisciplinary approach
• To start a dialogue with the student community through a tailor-made course enhancing and broadening medical students’ education and learning experience
• A practical approach to cancer diagnosis, staging, prognosis and therapy
• Principles of medical therapy for cancer
• Breast cancer
• Colorectal cancer
• Gastric cancer
• Lung cancer
• Melanoma and brain tumours
• Ovarian cancer
• Prostate cancer
• Renal cell carcinoma
• Testicular cancer
The Course on Medical Oncology for Medical Students is an ESMO-ESO joint event
|Special thanks to the following associations for their co-operation in the promotion of the course|
G. Baciarello, Villejuif, FR
S. Banerjee, London, UK
A. Berghoff, Vienna, AT
F. Cardoso, Lisbon, PT
A. Cervantes, Valencia, ES
R. Dziadziuszko, Gdansk, PL
V. Gambardella, Valencia, ES
E. Martinelli, Naples, IT
P. Martin Martorell, Valencia, ES
C. Oing, Hamburg, DE
N. Pavlidis, Ioannina, GR
F. Peccatori, Milan, IT
S. Peters, Lausanne, CH
R.A. Stahel, Zurich, CH
M.J. Terol, Valencia, ES
c/o ESMO Head Office
Via Ginevra 4
Organisation, Programme and Logistics
Contact: Doris Vola
Tel: +41 (0)91 973 19 03
Fax: +41 (0)91 973 19 02
University of Valencia
Av. Blasco Ibanez, 13
Tel: +34 963 86 41 00
The university is situated nine kilometres from Valencia International Airport (also known as Manises Airport).
It comprises three campuses: Burjassot-Paterna, Tarongers and Blasco Ibáñez, where the medical college is located. The Blasco Ibanez campus can be reached by taking the underground train (line 3) and getting off at Facultats or by bus by taking the EMT buses marked 9, 10, 12, 29, 30, 31, 70, 71, 80, 81, 89, and 90.
TRAVEL AND TRAVEL GRANTS
Each student must arrange his/her own travel. ESMO will reimburse participants with a grant of 200 euros after the course.
The organisers bear no responsibility for any untoward events in connection with, before, during and after the course. Participants are strongly advised to take out their own personal and travel coverage.
If you need a visa letter, please contact the ESMO Head Office
CERTIFICATE OF ATTENDANCE
A certificate of attendance will be provided to each student at the end of the course.
(Attendance of ALL course lectures/workshops is mandatory.)
BEST STUDENT AWARD
The participant with the highest score in the course exam will be offered the opportunity to participate in the ESMO 2019 congress (a 1000 euro grant will be offered), and to join the Congress Poster Walk for students.
• Fourth and fifth year medical students
• Fluency in English
Ninety medical students will be selected on a competitive basis. All participants will receive free registration.
Please be kindly reminded that in order to apply you need to:
1. Create an ESMO account
2. Apply for the ESMO membership (in "My Profile" section, click on "Become a member")
3. Click on the "Apply now!" button and select the "Student Course Application form" to start your application
• The courses are reserved to fourth and fifth year medical students (undergraduates)
• Applicants must be ESMO members (undergraduate students benefit from free ESMO membership)
• Students must be fluent in English
• Attendance for the entire duration of the course is mandatory
To support your application please provide us with the following information:
• Full curriculum vitae (with list of publications)
• Letter of motivation for attending the course (max. 300 words)
• Letter of recommendation/support from your Head of Department/mentor
APPLICATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED (30 APRIL 2019)
SELECTION OF PARTICIPANTS
• All applications will be assessed by ESMO
• Students will be selected on a competitive basis
• Free registration to the courses and accommodation (including meals) is offered
• Each student will receive a travel grant. Travel is to be organised by the student (ESMO will provide the grant AFTER the course)
Participants are required to bring their own laptop, tablet or smartphone to the course to be able to access the course material electronically.
Accommodation will be in a University of Valencia college. Free accommodation and meals will be offered to all selected participants.
The scientific programme is available here.