CERTIFICATE OF COMPETENCE
Collaborating university: Università della Svizzera italiana
The first edition of the Certificate of Advanced Studies in Gastrointestinal cancer will begin in June 2022 and is the first competence programme to focus on the improvement of both the clinical and scientific capability of oncologists, ensuring better-quality management of patients with gastrointestinal cancers.
This programme, which is offered on a part-time basis over 15 months, is divided into a seminar module (three seminars) and six online modules.
Upon successful completion of the programme and after passing the final exam, participants will obtain an academic certificate issued by the European School of Oncology and the Università della Svizzera italiana assigning 14 European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System Points (ECTS) and equalling a work load of 381 didactic hours and a diploma supplement issued by the Università della Svizzera italiana.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The application deadline has passed
For further information please contact firstname.lastname@example.org
Block 1 - 29.06.2022 / 02.07.2022 - Barcelona, Spain
CAS-GI: Seminar 1 + World GI Congress
Block 2 - 01.07.2022 / 15.09.2022 - Online Module
CAS-GI: Module 1: Epidemiology and prevention, biology and pathology of GI tumors
Block 3 - 16.09.2022 / 30.11.2022 - Online Module
CAS-GI: Module 2: Princ of diag. & treat. of localized tumors of the liver, biliary tract, pancreas
Block 4 - 01.12.2022 / 28.02.2023 - Online Module
CAS-GI: Module 3: Principles of diag. & treat. of localized esogastric, colorectal & anal tumors
Block 5 - 13.02.2023 / 17.02.2023 - Lugano
CAS-GI: Seminar 2 - Lugano
Block 6 - 01.03.2023 / 15.05.2023 - Online Module
CAS-GI: Module 4: Management of advanced GI tumors
Block 7 - 16.05.2023 / 31.07.2023 - Online Module
CAS-GI: Module 5: Palliative and supportive management of advanced GI tumors
Block 8 - 01.08.2023 / 30.09.2023 - Online Module
CAS-GI: Module 6: Principles of clinical research and future perspectives in GI tumors
Block 9 - 20.10.2023 / 24.10.2023 - Madrid, Spain
CAS-GI: Seminar 3 - ESMO Madrid
Admission and Eligibility
Admission to the Certificate of Advanced Studies in Gastrointestinal cancer programme will be by competitive application only and the selection will be based on the eligibility criteria and on the selection procedure.
Applications will be considered if received completed with all required documents and within the deadline. Attendance is limited to 25 participants.
Decisions on admissions are made by the appointed Programme Chair.
To obtain the Certificate of Advanced Studies in Gastrointestinal cancer, it will be compulsory that participants will attend all seminars and modules according to the provided timeline.
The organisers bear no responsibility for untoward events in relation to the participation in the seminars. Participants are advised to take out their own personal and travel insurance coverage.
The CAS-GI program is designed for medical doctors (medical oncology, radiation oncology, radiology, nuclear medicine or pathology), but it is equally accessible to graduates in natural sciences, who are engaged in the field of oncology, especially in the field of gastrointestinal cancer.
- Medical doctors:
- Master degree from an accredited college or university (e.g. state examination in medicine) in medicine or an equivalent degree at the level of state examination in medicine and have had at least two years residency training in a relevant institution.
- Natural scientists:
- Master degree from an accredited college or university in a course of studies in natural sciences or an equivalent degree at the level of at least three years of studies or in a course of studies with essentially the same contents at an accredited college or university and at least two years of professional experience in oncology.
- The following additional achievements will increase the assessment rate of the application:
- Further professional experience related to the course of studies
- Completion of an additional qualification in oncology (specialist training as a physician or international equivalent)
- Publications, as evidenced by cumulative impact factors greater than 10
- At least one year of relevant oncological experience in a foreign country
Applications for the first cohort of the CAS-GI are now being accepted.
Please find the study regulation here.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: The Application Deadline has passed
If interested please apply online (at the top of this page) and provide the following documents:
Before you start completing the online application form, please be sure you have all the requested files as outlined below ready to be uploaded to the system. Online applications will not be complete unless all the files are uploaded.
- Part II of the application - Download PART II HERE
- Curriculum vitae outlining previous education and professional experience
- Copy of bachelor’s degree or equivalent degree in medicine or natural sciences or any other study programme covering the same contents in the original language and a certified English translation
- Copy of transcript of records of the examinations taken during the bachelor’s degree programme in the original language and a certified English translation
- If the point above is not applicable, record of all study achievements and examination results obtained in the course of studies until the application deadline
- Employment verification/reference letters accounting for professional experience in oncology
- Personal statement, which explains why you believe you are eligible for this programme and how and why it will further support your intended career
- Supporting documents to verify additional qualifications
|Application deadline||14 December 2021|
|Notification of admission to applicant by ESO||1 March 2022|
|First tuition invoice due||15 May 2022|
|Programme start||July 2022|
|Second tuition invoice due||15 October 2022|
The tuition fee is EUR 5,400. A discounted fee of EUR 3,000 is implemented and made available to participants from low, lower middle and upper middle-income economies as defined by The World Bank for the year 2022.
The tuition fee includes:
- Access to the modules via a dedicated online learning platform
- Access to seminars foreseen by the programme, including registration and accommodation
- Access to all exams required by the programme
- The administrative fee for the enrolment at the Università della Svizzera italiana
Cancellation should be submitted in writing and refund of the first deposit payment will be processed when cancellation is notified by 30 October 2022.
The College of the European School of Oncology (ESCO) will offer one full tuition scholarship to a fellow or graduate enrolled in ESCO for the year 2022. You may request to be considered for this scholarship on Part II of the application template. ESCO enrolment/renewal must be carried out before the application deadline in order to be consider for this benefit.
- Sara De Dosso, Oncology Institute of Southern Switzerland (IOSI), Bellinzona, Switzerland
- Pietro Majno-Hurst, USI Faculty of Biomedical Sciences, Lugano, Switzerland and Regional Hospital of Lugano (ORL), Lugano, Switzerland
- Andrea De Gottardi, USI Faculty of Biomedical Sciences, Lugano, Switzerland
Overall Scientific Director
- Sara De Dosso
Conceptual Development and Organisation
- Sarah Ortelli, ESO, Bellinzona, Switzerland
- Martina Voegele, USI, Lugano, Switzerland
- Alexandra Zampetti, ESO, Bellinzona Switzerland