COURSES AND SEMINARS
Aims of the course
"How to practice evidence based oncology" will provide an evidence-based approach to oncology. It will enable practitioners to determine the interventions that work and those that do not work in the management of oncological disorders.
Participants will learn how to:
- gather evidence in oncology
- critically analyse and appraise the evidence
- apply the evidence in decision making at the bedside
A key feature of the course will be a number of small-group sessions. This will allow for interaction with course moderators and continuous feedback. Sessions will focus on appraisal and on applying evidence in decision making. Each small group will report to the course and there will be general discussion with the whole group.
Participants will use their laptop computers to conduct searches for evidence-based material during the course.
Upon completion of the workshop, participants will be able to:
- Convert clinical information needs into answerable questions
- Track down "the best evidence" with which to answer a clinical question (list of optimal electronic strategies with useful filters and other sources of primary and secondary information will be provided to all participants; in addition they will have an opportunity to identify the "best evidence" themselves through Internet connection)
- Critically appraise that evidence for its validity (closeness to the truth), power (precision estimates about the effect size) and usefulness (clinical applicability). This will be accomplished by using published checklists on the evaluation of the quality of published evidence
- Integrate the appraisal with clinical expertise and apply the results to their clinical practice (decision-making at bedside)
The dead-line for registration has expired.
Participants are asked to bring their laptop computers to the course.
For technical assistance contact Charles Mahler firstname.lastname@example.org
Oncology Center Antwerp
Lange Gasthuisstraat 35-37
BE-2000 Antwerp, Belgium
Tel: +32 3 223 5350
Fax: +32 3 223 5352
European School of Oncology
Viale Beatrice d'Este 37
20122 Milan, Italy
Tel: +39 02 4335 9611
Fax: +39 02 4335 9640
There are rooms available for participants at the Oncology Centre Antwerp. Please contact Brigitte Dourcy-Belle-Rose for accommodation information