COURSES AND SEMINARS
Local Organiser: M. Peeters, BE
ESO (European School of Oncology), ESSO (European Society of Surgical Oncology) and ESTRO (European Society for Radiotherapy and Oncology) jointly organize an annual multidisciplinary course in oncology for medical students.
The key goal of this course is encouraging medical students to specialize in an oncology related discipline. Previous editions organized since 2005 got very positive and enthusiastic feedback from the students who had spent two weeks over summer with experienced teachers to receive theoretical and practical training in cancer care.
The multidisciplinary course in oncology will provide insight into all aspects of oncology with both theoretical and practical sessions. The programme incorporates plenary sessions, case study presentations, daily special visits to various oncology departments and group course projects that must be finalized and presented at the end of the course.
The course has been designated for European Credit Transfer and Accumulation System Credits (ECTS).
By the end of the course participants should:
• Have a comprehensive understanding of all aspects of oncology
• Have an understanding of the complexity and importance of the multidisciplinary approach to cancer treatment
• Prepare in groups a specific topic related to the theoretical and/or practical sessions and present it to plenary audience
• Ten working days
• The programme covers all aspects of oncology
• Theoretical plenary sessions of maximum 2 hours
• Case presentations
• Daily two-hour practical sessions in small groups (labs, ward visits, etc)
• Preparation in small working groups of a presentation on a specific topic under the supervision of a teacher
• The last day will be devoted to the project presentations delivered by the students
• Students are requested to bring their laptops to the course
• The official language is English - students must be fluent in English
Read the related article.
|The course is held in collaboration with|
- Selected participants will benefit from free registration, lunches and accommodation.
- Arriving late for the start of the course or leaving early at the end is not acceptable. To receive course credit, attendance throughout the entire session is require.
- The course will start on Monday 22nd August 2022 at 09:00 and will end on Friday 2nd September 2022 at 18:00. Participants should arrive to Antwerp on Sunday 21st August in the afternoon; a welcome reception will be organised by the host institute in the evening.
The course will take place at the Antwerp University Hospital (UZA), Antwerp, Belgium.
Being selected to take part in this course is one of the ESO activities that gives participants eligibility to enrol in ESCO - the College of the European School of Oncology.
The course also enables ESCO students to earn ESCO credits and therefore access more ESCO benefits. Full and active participation earns participants 27 ESCO credits.
Visit www.ESCO.org for more information on how to join ESCO.
Please contact Ana Galán at firstname.lastname@example.org if you have any questions.
Participation in this course is by competitive application.
The online application is open and the deadline for submission is 31st May 2021. Your application must include the following documents:
• A short CV (max 1 page) describing your education and indicating level of spoken English
• A motivation letter explaining why you wish to attend the course
Complete the application form here.
The programme is available here.