Collaborating university: University of Zurich
The Certificate of Advanced Studies in Lung cancer (CASLu) was launched in 2018 and is the first programme to focus on the improvement on both the clinical and the scientific aspects of improving quality in the management of patients with lung cancer and other thoracic malignancies.
This programme, which is offered on a part-time basis over 14 months, is divided into three attendance seminars and four online modules.
Upon successful completion of the programme, participants will obtain an academic certificate issued by the University of Zurich assigning 14 ECTS credits, equalling a work load of 420 hours and a diploma supplement by the University of Zurich.
APPLICATION DEADLINE: 15 NOVEMBER 2022
Admission to the Certificate of Competence in Lung cancer programme will be by competitive application only and the selection will be based on the eligibility criteria and on the selection procedure. Attendance is limited to 25 participants.
The following documents are required with your application:
- Application supplement (template available HERE)
- Curriculum vitae outlining previous education and professional experience
- Copy of master’s degree or equivalent degree in medicine or natural sciences or any other study programme covering the same contents in the original language and a certified English translation
- Copy of transcript of records of the examinations taken during the master’s degree programme in the original language and a certified English translation
- If the point above is not applicable, record of all study achievements and examination results obtained in the course of studies until the application deadline
- Employment verification/reference letters accounting for professional experience in oncology
- Personal statement, which explains why you believe you are eligible for this programme and how and why it will further support your intended career
- Supporting documents to verify additional qualifications
Before you start completing the online application form, please be sure you have all the requested files as outlined above ready to be uploaded to the system. Your application will not be complete unless all files are uploaded.
To obtain the Certificate of Advanced studies in Lung cancer, it will be compulsory that participants will attend all seminars and modules according to the provided time-line.
The organisers bear no responsibility for untoward events in relation to the participation in the seminars. Participants are advised to take out their own personal and travel insurance coverage.
Admission and Elegibility
The programme is designed for medical doctors (medical oncology, radiation oncology, thoracic surgery, radiology, nuclear medicine, pathology), but it is equally accessible to graduates in natural sciences, who are engaged in the field of oncology, especially in the field of thoracic malignancies.
Master degree from an accredited college or university in medicine or an equivalent degree at the level of state examination in medicine and have had at least two years' residency training in a relevant institution.
Master degree from an accredited college or university in a course of studies in natural sciences or an equivalent degree at the level of at least three years of studies or in a course of studies with essentially the same contents at an accredited college or university and at least two years of professional experience in oncology. Examples of courses of study with essentially the same contents are biology, molecular medicine, biochemistry and pharmacology.
The following additional achievements will increase the assessment rate of the application:
- Further professional experience related to the course of studies
- Completion of an additional qualification in oncology
- Publications, as evidenced by cumulative impact factors greater than 10
- At least one year of relevant oncological experience in a foreign country
In keeping with the ESO mission, the cost of the CASLu programme is generously subsidized by the European School of Oncology (ESO).
The tuition fee which remains to be paid by each participant is EUR 5.400.
In a further effort to make the cost of this programme accessible to professionals living in emerging economies, a discounted fee of EUR 3.000 will be applied to residents of lower and middle income countries as defined by The World Bank.
The tuition fee includes:
- Access to the modules via a dedicated online platform
- Access to the in-person seminars foreseen by the programme, including registration for the indicated congresses and 4 nights’ accommodation (ELCC 2023, ESMO Congress 2023, CASLu stand-alone seminar 2024)
- Access to all exams required by the programme
The tuition fee does not include:
- Travel to the in-person seminars
Cancellation of participation in the programme should be submitted in writing. A refund of the tuition fee will be considered if the programme has not started yet and on a case by case basis.
Application & programme time-line
|Participant’s application to be submitted to ESO by||15 November 2022|
|Notification of admission to applicant by||30 December 2022|
|Seminar 1 (ELCC Congress, Copenhagen, DK)||29 March – 01 April 2023|
|Seminar 2 (ESMO Congress, Madrid, ES)||20 – 24 October 2023|
|Seminar 3 and programme conclusion (Zurich, CH)||May 2024|
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with any questions.