Deadline for applications: 2 April 2023
Chairs: A. Eniu, CH; A. Pasic, BA
Host Chairs: C. Sessa, CH; F. Sessa, IT
Aims, objectives and teaching format
The ESO Masterclass is a full immersion, clinical oriented event designed for medical and clinical oncologists with 3-4 years experience in oncology who would like to receive further training on the treatment of tumours from a multidisciplinary point of view. The programme exposes participants to a full spectrum of issues in clinical oncology and to practice-oriented training.
The Masterclass is organized into:
- Plenary lectures on state-of-the-art clinical treatments with reference to clinical guidelines given by renowned international faculty.
- Interactive workshops on communication, social media and managing burnout
- Clinical case presentations/tumour board simulation where each participant presents and discusses a case with an international faculty of top experts in each tumour type.
The Masterclass is divided into two educational parts:
- Pre-recorded online lectures
- In-person event
The online lectures are released before the in-person event to give each participant the opportunity to prepare themselves in their own time and at their own pace.
The in-person event is held in the style of a 3-and-half-day ‘retreat’, giving participants the opportunity to begin building an international oncology network as well as the chance to interact with renowned faculty in an informal environment over a number of days.
The Masterclass is held entirely in English and fluency in English is necessary for admission.
The ESO Masterclass in Clinical Oncology: Summer edition is a closed event for selected participants only.
The Masterclass will be held in English and translation will not be provided.
The Masterclass will take place at UnaHotels in Varese (Milan area), Italy.
A fee of:
- 300 EUR for participant working in High-Middle Income Countries *
- 200 EUR for participants working in Low-Middle income countries *
- Access to the course and its educational resources
- Accommodation for 4 nights at UnaHotels in Varese
- Group transfer from Malpensa airport to the Masterclass venue
- Meals according to the programme
The fee does not cover travel costs, these should be organized and paid by the participant.
A discount of 30 EUR is given to participants who are already ESCO members.
*as defined by the World Bank
Participants will be issued a certificate of attendance (minimum attendance: 75% of the online part + 100% of the in-person event). An online evaluation questionnaire and learning assessment test will need to be completed for both parts in order to get the certificate that will be sent by email.
Application for CME recognition will be submitted to the Accreditation Council of Oncology in Europe (ACOE). The American Medical Association (AMA) and the Accreditation Council for Continuous Medical Education (ACCME) designate this type of educational activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA category 1 credits per hour of activity.
Being selected to take part in an ESO Masterclass is one of the ESO activities that gives participants eligibility to enroll in ESCO - the College of the European School of Oncology.
A Masterclass also enables ESCO students to earn ESCO credits and therefore access more ESCO benefits.
Full and active participation in the Masterclass earns participants 30 ESCO credits.
Visit www.ESCO.org for more information on how to join ESCO.
ATTENDANCE TO THE MASTERCLASS IS BY APPLICATION ONLY.
60 PARTICIPANTS WILL BE SELECTED.
Applications deadline: 2nd April 2023
IDEAL PROFILE OF THE MASTERCLASS CANDIDATE
- Aged between 30 and 40 years
- 2-3 years’ experience in medical oncology
- Involvement in scientific activities and clinical trials
- Fluency in English
- From ESO’s geographical reach
HOW TO APPLY
Interested oncologists should apply online (at the top of this page) providing:
- Letter describing motivation for attending;
- Supporting letter from head of department or mentor;
- CV with list publications (if the list of publications is not provided, it will be assumed that no articles have been published)
- Clinical case (please, use the provided template below)
- Professional experience form (please, use the provided template below)
CLINICAL CASE PRESENTATION
During the in-person event all participants will have the chance to present a clinical case as a clinical grandround discussion to the faculty and participants. A template giving details of the clinical case you would like to present should be submitted with your application. Please provide a straightforward case found in your daily clinical practice - no uncommon or extremely rare cases. You should include
- Diagnostic considerations
- Results, follow-up
- At least three questions proposed for discussion with the faculty
If you are selected for the Masterclass, you will be asked to prepare a PowerPoint presentation of your case (max 10 slides). If we receive too many cases from one tumour group, we may ask you to change the case topic you submitted during your application. We kindly ask you to let us know your 2nd choice topic if your first choice cannot be accommodated.
Before you start completing the online application form, please be sure you have all the requested files (CV, Motivation letter, Supporting letter, Professional experience template and Clinical Case template) ready to be uploaded to the system. Online applications will not be complete unless all the files are uploaded.